2008-10-22

Simple video explanations of modern Internet technologies

Via a blog dedicated to technology for education, LearnTech News, I found out about some videos that give good, simple explanations of some modern Internet technologies can help you in your daily work.

The videos show how things like RSS feeds, social bookmarking and wikis can help teachers (or anyone).

If you don't know (or aren't exactly sure) what those are, then just watch the videos :)
(They're lower down this page)

The videos are produced by a group called Common Craft, a group of educators producing simple video explanations of many things (not just technology). You can watch the videos on their site, but they are also available on TeacherTube (online videos for education) and dotSUB (a site that includes subtitles in various languages).

Because I work with Spanish speakers, I've embedded versions on dotSUB: there you can choose subtitles (Spanish: Castillian) from the menu at the bottom of the video.

After you watch the videos, why not try out these technologies yourself? After all, I found about these videos because I'm subscribed to an RSS feed. And I can always find these useful sites (like LearnTech News) again because I use social bookmarking.

Social Bookmarking in Plain English

I haven't experimented much with the "social" aspect of social bookmarking; the main reasons I use it are that I can save and access bookmarks on any computer anywhere, instead of these bookmarks being divided up across many computers.
Also I find that doing a search on delicious can sometimes be more productive than just doing a plain web search.
And if you find a useful site searching on delicious, you can click on the user who bookmarked it and see what other useful sites they have found.

RSS in Plain English

I found out about these videos because I subscribe to LearnTech News using Google Reader. Here's a Common Craft video specifically about that.

No comments: